Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thomas Beatie gave birth to his second child early Tuesday morning

Thomas Beatie, believed to be the world’s first ‘pregnant man’, has given birth to his second child in America. While Beatie and his wife Nancy have not yet named the baby but sources close to the couple said that the baby was born via natural childbirth.

Announcing his second pregnancy in an interview with Barbara Walters in the US last November, Mr Beatie said: "I feel good. I had my checkups with my hormone level, as far as the HCG. And everything is right on track."

Mr Beatie, 35, was born a girl named Tracy Lagondino but had gender reassignment surgery and is now legally male, wears a beard, and is married to Nancy. Despite changing his gender, Mr Beatie had kept his female organs so he could fall pregnant one day. The couple decided he should get pregnant after learning that Nancy was unable to bear another child due to a hysterectomy.

Beatie told U.S. talk show host Barbara Walters last year they regard themselves as a normal, heterosexual family. 'We are a man, woman and child,' he said. 'It's ironic that we are so different but yet, we're just a family, just the same as anyone else.
'I am my daughter's father, and that's all I'll ever be to her.'
Thomas told Oprah Winfrey last year his first attempt at conceiving resulted in an ectopic pregnancy with triplets. They had to be aborted, he said, and he lost his right fallopian tube.

'Despite the fact that my belly is growing with a new life inside me, I am stable and confident being the man that I am," Thomas said when news of the pregnancy broke in March.

0 comments: